Tuesday, July 21, 2009

....morning glow

I went off on one of two early morning calls this morning. On first emergence from the station, it was dark. And not only because I was looking into the back of my eyelids. Pitch black, the darkness of night still engulfed the earth and sneaked into all the cracks and crevices it could find. After finishing up the call, and on my drive back to the station I noticed what I had noticed last week while on nights as well as at various other brief moments, almost catching that right time during the week off, but seemingly drifting off right before that precious moment. I was reminded of one of the very simple pleasures in life that I had discovered while in Fiji and NT, Australia. The simplicity and pure beauty of a sunrise.

There's something to be said about the morning glow of the sun, beginning to rise and peak out from the other side of the world.
To see the shadowy darkness of the night hit the light of day.
The calmness of it all as the dark creeps away.
There's a few moments where a sense of calm comes over the city.
Where if you find the right bridge, at that right moment you can see the night being engulfed by the rising light.
Darkness to the west, and the soft humming glow to the east.
Come watch it unfold, come be still with me in the stillness of it all.
And like that, the precious, exquisitely peaceful moment of the morning glow is gone.
As if it never even happened.

No comments: