- a persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid it, despite the awareness and reassurance that it is not dangerous.
- a strong fear, dislike, or aversion
I had a moment of extreme "Aha!" last night while at work. My partner and I attended to a call, I was in the process of obtaining a blood sugar and was finding myself fumbling trying to get the packaging of the band-aid open. Rather than just fumbling with the band-aid some more I asked my partner to open it for me. As I was in the process of pricking my patient's finger my partner places the band-aid with half of the protective paper off and sticks it to my shoulder. In that instance I felt a great "ugh!" and cringed as I could feel it go right down to the bone. I quickly and immediately removed it from my shoulder trying to rid myself of the feeling and the he-bee-gee-bees I got. Obviously I survived the ordeal as I am sitting here writing about it.
This morning when I woke up I told my mom about the band-aid incident. I then asked her if she thought I should go for help, therapy perhaps. She laughed at me and said "I thought you should have gone to therapy a long time ago!"
So, that brings me to how does one classify something as a phobia or just an extreme dislike to something. It's not that I'm afraid of band-aids. I deal with them, you could say we tolerate each other. People often ask how I do my job. Yes, I'm in a profession that has to deal with band-aids regularly. My response, I wear my gloves and apply band-aids as necessary. If I don't have to put a band-aid on someone I won't. I'll use gauze and cling instead. I wouldn't dare wear or even think about putting one on myself, that's what kleenex tissue is for isn't it? I don't like to be touched by them or have people touch me with their band-aid finger. I find it extremely disgusting to see a used band-aid on the ground or left somewhere else for someone to have stuck on their shoe.
I laugh at those people on the Maury Povich show who run off stage and into the audience over a balloon or the picture of the colour blue. But really, if put in that position would I do the same thing?
Maury here I come.
1 comment:
Hmm..you learn something new about people everyday=p. Since I've been having to use Band Aids so frequently these days, I don't particularly love them either=p.
Post a Comment