Saturday, October 04, 2008

Shifting to Work

Shift work:
It's amazing how one transforms their body from non shift worker to shift worker. Even more amazing is the amount of strain the body is put through in attempt to switch from days to nights and nights to days.
Having just been on nights and now switched over for some day shifts, I have been finding it incredibly more difficult over the past couple of cycles (apprx. 12 weeks). Perhaps it's anticipation of the upcoming trip or just the realization that I do quite enjoy my afternoon/evening and it is when I'm more productive or seem it. On my days off I have especially noticed this more as I am more often than not going to bed at 1 or 2 am and sometimes even as late as 4 and not having to wake up till 10 or 11 in the morning. This schedule my body seems to have placed itself on while on my off days has made it quite difficult to prepare for day shifts. Unable to sleep and perhaps even just getting myself to the bed before 12 is a challenge. Even more of a challenge is that moment when the alarm goes off, you wake enough to hit the snooze and lay back again only to have the 2nd alarm go off. And when both alarms accidentally get turned off completely and aware of this you lay back down only to be woken up at 6 am realizing you're now running late, everything's on autopilot.

Shift work, it's wonderful for the time off and yet so very horrible for everything else.

No comments: